Kentico CMS 6 makes developers even more productive and allows them to do more with less code. It brings support for the latest technologies and delivers many features you were asking for, including Web Application project type, easier upgrade process, complete Windows Azure support, MVC, LINQ, REST, better API, even more detailed documentation and many others.
Also, with the new Kentico Enterprise Marketing Solution (EMS), developers can create highly available websites and help marketers deliver dynamic customer experiences.
Increase Your Productivity with Latest Development Technologies
Kentico CMS 6 supports the latest technologies that make developers more productive, including:
- .NET 3.5 SP1 and .NET 4.0 (.NET 2.0 is no longer supported in version 6)
- HTML 5 – rendering of HTML 5 video and audio elements
- LINQ – easily query Kentico CMS data and use it in your code
- REST and OData – access Kentico CMS data from external applications
- MVC – create website pages with model-view-controller architecture
- Web Application Project – with version 6, you can choose from Web Application Project, Website Project and Windows Azure Project
- Modern API with a complete business layer, typed collections and other API improvements
- Improved customization model
Full Support of Windows Azure
While we've been supporting the Windows Azure platform for almost one year and have numerous clients running on Windows Azure, we are now providing a more complete cloud experience to anybody who is looking for an elastic platform for a website:
- Install Kentico CMS as a Windows Azure project and install Kentico CMS database directly into SQL Azure
- Run Kentico CMS on multiple Windows Azure instances for scalability and higher availability
- Store uploaded files in Windows Azure Storage
- Store application settings in the service configuration file
The new Kentico EMS features will also be supported both on-premise and in Windows Azure.
Easier Upgrades, Hotfixing and Installation Management
The new Kentico Installation Manager makes it easier for you to upgrade websites and apply hotfixes. It automatically downloads the updates and lets you install them with a few clicks.
New K# Macro Language and Intellisense
K# is the new macro language. If you're familiar with Kentico macros, you know how powerful they are and how they reduce the need to write customization code. Now imagine that you can write not only simple macros, but also more complex code structures – that's K#.
K# empowers developers with many new structures:
- collections (IEnumerable objects)
- if-else conditions
- while, for and foreach loops
- lambda expressions
- code snippets in macros
- and others...
Moreover, you can now write macro expressions using the new editor with intellisense!
System Integration Bus
The new System Integration Bus allows for efficient synchronization between Kentico CMS and any 3rd party systems, such as CRM, ERP, user databases and others.
Better Documentation and New API Examples
We listen to your feedback and we invested huge efforts to provide you with a better documentation. Among others, we prepared a new API Examples site that shows you how to use the API in each module.
Quickly Build New Layouts using Layout Webparts and Widgets
Now you can define layout of your page templates without writing HTML layout code. Just choose one of the built-in layout webpart:
- multi-column layout
- multi-rows layout
- table layout
- collapsible panel layout
- tabs layout
- accordion layout
Syntax Highlighting and T-SQL Editor
With Kentico CMS 6, writing code gets much easier with new syntax highlighting support for CSS, HTML, XML, ASPX and T-SQL code. You can even edit stored procedures and views from the Kentico CMS Site Manager!
Version History and Rollback for Page Templates and Other Objects
No more worries about making changes to page templates, transformations, CSS stylesheets and other development objects! With version 6, you can easily roll back to a previous version and restore deleted objects from the recycle bin.
Additional Enterprise Features
Kentico CMS 6 also adds more enterprise features for mission-critical deployments:
- health monitoring
- multiple SMTP servers
- Windows Service for execution of scheduled tasks
We try to improve Kentico performance with every new release and version 6 is not an exception. You will benefit from:
- storing cache items in the file system – a new caching option for pages that do not load often enough to be stored in the memory
- improved paging in web controls that loads only data displayed on the given page
- substitutions of parts of the web page when using full-page cache
- configurable client cache
Using Portal Engine Features in ASPX Templates
In Kentico CMS 6, developers can build their own pages based on ASPX code and use all features of the Portal Engine, including:
- placing webparts on the ASPX template in the Design mode
- using widgets on ASPX templates
Other Enhancements and Improvements
Kentico CMS 6 brings more and more new features for developers such as:
- Document type inheritance
- New field editor
- Stylesheet themes management
- Universal viewer for displaying hierarchical content
- Silent Installation
- New Import Toolkit
- Moving ViewState to the end of the page
- Better localization support
- Revised handlers
- Improved debug options
- and many others...
Learn more about many small improvements for developers.